Orcas Beta 1 and WCSF

Topics: Web Client Software Factory
Apr 23, 2007 at 6:32 AM
This question may not come as a surprise since Orcas Beta 1 has been released last Friday, but what will make the WCSF work on Orcas Beta 1. I've uninstalled GAX/GAT prior to installing Orcas and then reinstalled it. I wasn't entirely surprised that the Guidance Package Manager did not show up in Orcas, but I suspect it is just a matter of some registry settings.
Coordinator
Apr 24, 2007 at 6:03 PM
Edited Apr 24, 2007 at 6:04 PM
We did not test WCSF on Orcas (since it was not available when we released). I expect that WCSF may have a few issues, especially if GAX and GAT are having issues.
All I can say is "Good luck". You may want to tell the community how things fare and if you get the factory to work on Orcas. I'm sure there are others that would like to know.
Apr 27, 2007 at 7:22 PM
I tried to run a WCSF-based solution in Orcas beta 1, but I suppose something is broken since the design view does not work at all. Anyhow, when I then tried to load the original solution into Visual Studio 2005 again everything looked fine. The WSSF (WCF-version) backend works like a charm. However, the front-end now results in the following error.

[ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: item]
Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder.WCSFExtensions.WCSFBuilderBase`1.TearDown(IReadWriteLocator locator, TItem item) +158
Microsoft.Practices.CompositeWeb.WebClientApplication.InnerPostRequestHandlerExecute(IHttpContext context) +115
Microsoft.Practices.CompositeWeb.WebClientApplication.Application_PostRequestHandlerExecute(Object sender, EventArgs e) +79
System.Web.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +92
System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +64

Looks like the Orcas installation did something to the original Visual Studio 2005 installation. I even tried a repair of my VS2005 install.
May 17, 2007 at 4:17 PM
Hi,

What is the planning for WCSF and Orcas?
Are you waithing for the release or something will be done before?

Alain
May 25, 2007 at 10:52 PM
Hi Albator

Our current plan is for WCSF vNext to be built on Orcas. We are looking to also have backward compatability, though some features such as LINQ support will require Orcas. As to the current release of WCSF we are aware that currently GAT/GAX does not work on Orcas and we are actively working on this. As soon as we have a solution, we will let you know.

Glenn
Jun 13, 2007 at 6:16 AM
Quoted from Brian Harry's weblog (http://blogs.msdn.com/bharry/archive/2007/06/12/gat-gax-support-for-orcas.aspx):

"A few weeks ago (in a thread about Orcas feedback) I got several questions about GAT/GAX support. As promised I went and talked to the team about their plans and accelerating support. Their plan had been to support Orcas at RTM, but given the feedback you gave and after reviewing the effort involved, they've come back with a plan to do it sooner. Today they told me they believe they can have an Orcas compatible GAT/GAX available in about a month. So, keep your eyes and ears open for availability..."