Is it possible (or a good idea) to merge WCSF into an existing project over time

Topics: Web Client Software Factory, User Forum
Feb 8, 2007 at 10:01 PM
If I have an existing project that I want to convert to WCSF can I do that slowly by doing a page here and there over time, or does a whole project essentially have to be using WCSF? I.e., can I have some pages using my existing architecture and some pages using the WCSF architecture all in the same web project?
Feb 10, 2007 at 3:13 AM
Yes of course you can mix them and it's a good strategy to start migrating regular ASP.Net apps. You can start by using a single module and start thinking about what modules make sense in your app and start decoupling your solution slowly.

Matias
http://staff.southworks.net/blogs/matiaswoloski
Coordinator
Feb 13, 2007 at 10:36 PM
This migration over time should work fairly well for you. I cannot think of anything that would prevent you from doing this.
Let us know if you run into any challenges or things that could make the process simpler.
Mar 11, 2007 at 6:17 AM
From what I can tell one has to start with a new solution in order to begin using WCSF and I don't see anything in the documentation that discusses how to begin to integrate WCSF into an existing web application. I don't think starting with a new solution and then migrating your existing code to the new solution can be considered as merging WCSF into an existing solution over time. There's a fairly decent size effort in migrating to a WCSF solution as a big bang that I think may prove as a roadblock for many projects including mine. Am I missing something here, is there a way to integrate WCSF into an existing web app?
Coordinator
Mar 16, 2007 at 3:27 AM
I just posted a discussion on Using the WCSF with an existing Web Application Project, which points to a blog post I just posted (Using the WCSF with an existing Web Application Project). Hopefully this will help you out a little bit.
Mar 26, 2007 at 5:47 PM
Hi, thank you - that is a great article. Are these steps specific to a WAP project or will they also work in a regular web project?

Thanks,

Roy
Coordinator
Mar 26, 2007 at 7:44 PM
Check out this post here Discussion-Using WCSF on Existing Web Site Projects:, which points to the article on my blog: Using the WCSF with existing web site projects