WebFarm

Topics: Web Client Software Factory
Feb 2, 2007 at 7:17 PM
Hey,

I'm developing quite some years now but I'm new at the SOA part.
If I look at the reference implementation provided with this factory,
I see that it implements (web)services to provide objects/data.

But what I still don't understand is that how you can create an
webapplication in an webfarm(with or without this factory).

Could somebody explain me how this works or reference me to some
good sites.

Thanx in advance
Coordinator
Feb 2, 2007 at 9:16 PM
I want to make sure I understand your question and that we are on the same page, before pointing you at other sites.

A web farm, as I have always pictured it, is a set of N web servers, sitting behind a network load balancer that distributes the laod. All the web servers have the same web application loaded on them. The web servers may share a common back-end, for example a database that holds information, or one that holds session state, a bunch of web services on another set of servers, etc.

However, the farm is invisible to the user. If I go to www.microsoft.com, the request will be sent to one of several (maybe hundreds or thousands) of web servers. I don't know or care which one handled my request, as they all use the same back end.

When you start dealing with user sessions and user specific data, things get a bit more interesting. Usually, you will opt for a shared session state store for all the servers. Rather than keeping session in memory, all the web servers ask a database for the session for a specific user. This slows response time a bit, but increases scalability options immensely.

Does this rambling make sense?
Feb 3, 2007 at 1:26 AM
Edited Feb 3, 2007 at 1:26 AM
Michael thanx for your anwser, but I phrashed it wrong. I understand what a webfarm is but what I don't understand how you can develop sites who works on this. And how a SOA ready aritechture fits within.