designed for Windows 2000?

Topics: User Forum
Jan 15, 2007 at 1:43 PM
Hello,

I work for a very large organisation that still runs on Windows 2000 and won't upgrade to Vista for at least another year. I downloaded Release 1.0.0.0 Production and it won't install on Windows 2000 for the obvious reason that I cannot install .Net framework 3 on Windows 2000. I did manage to download and read the latest documentation though which still mentions this guidance was designed to run on Windows 2000. I knew from the alpha releases that I could not use the page flow application block and would have to replace it with something that would work on Windows 2000, but at least I could unzip and look at the source code of the alpha releases and use for instance the ObjectContainerDataSource control. With Release 1.0.0.0 Production I cannot even install it. Is there any way I can get at the source code so that I can use things like the ObjectContainerDataSource control?

cheers

Remco
Jan 16, 2007 at 1:58 PM
Unfortunately the check of the installer is being done always.
What I suggest you is install the factory on any workstation with XP or 2003 and Net 3 and copy the source code installer to your win 2k box and the "Microsoft Practices Library" folder.

Net 3.0 is only required for PageFlow App Block which uses Windows Workflow Foundation. Other than that, there is anything that requires you to have Net 3.0 installed.

Thanks
Matias
http://staff.southworks.net/blogs/matiaswoloski
Jan 16, 2007 at 3:04 PM
Hi Matias,

Thank you for your reply. I did install it on a WinXp machine at home and copied the stuff over to my Win2k machine at work. The SourceCodeInstaller won't run on Win2k either, but I was really after the dll's which I now have in the Library folder and I managed to reference those from my projext. Excellent. Do you know of a way I can use / install the Guidance Package in Visual Studio 2005 on a Win2k machine as well?

cheers,

Remco
Jan 16, 2007 at 3:44 PM
Great.

In order to have Guidance Packages you will have to:
- Install GAX and GAT on the Win2k box
- Copy the source code version of the guidance package to the win2k box (copy the "GP" folder"
- On the win2k box open the solution under the GP folder and right click on the WebClientFactoryPackage project. You will find 3 extra commands. Click on "Register Guidance Package"

Now open a new VS and see if you have the new solution template.

Let me know if this helped.

Thanks
Matias
http://staff.southworks.net/blogs/matiaswoloski
Jan 18, 2007 at 9:59 AM
that worked. thanks

Remco