Web Client Factory dynamic menus

Topics: Web Client Software Factory
Aug 13, 2008 at 7:55 AM
Hello,

I've installed Web Client Factory Febrary 2008 and I can create Web Client Solutions. In this case, two projects are created (Shell and WebSite) and I can use the contextual menus of Web Client Factory (add a page with presenter, add a Web Control with Presenter, etc.)

Now here is my problem:  I have synchronized from Team Foundation Server a Web Client Solution created by another developer.  In this case, the Web Client Factory contextual menus won't show:  everything proceeds like Visual Studio doesn't recognize the project type.
I enabled the packages from Tools=>Guidance Package Manager.

I checked with the other developer the config files, everything is the same, which is pretty normal because I get all the files from scratch from TFS.

Does anyone know where my problem comes from?  Each time I need a new page or control, I must ask the other developer to create it and check it in, which is not an long term acceptable solution.

Regards,
Joel

Aug 13, 2008 at 12:20 PM
Hi Joel,

We use VS2005Pro/VSS2005 environment with 4 developer's stations and intermittently having the same issue.

Here's our empirically acquired experience:
First verify that your folder structures on the disk (not in VS Solution Explorer) are correct. To do so, just create an empty WCSF solution and observe the folder structure. Why I say this? Because we had to re-add our solution in Source Control because the website was being created directly under solution's folder, not under the WCSF folder structures, when the solution was initiated on dev machines from SourceSafe.

Second, without any hard evidence, the following sequence seems to help the Guidance Package show the website-related recipes:
1. While guidance package is disabled, either check out or flag your local copy writable of this file: vwd.webinfo
2. Then close and reopen the solution in VS
3. Then enable the guidance package

A third option you have is to step through the source code of the guidance package and see where the problem is - something I haven't had the time to do.

I hope someone who's done it will comment here.

Giorgi
Aug 13, 2008 at 2:18 PM
Hi Giorgi

Your second solution is the one ! It does work for me now, thank you very much.

Regards,
Joel