Creating a Solution From a Database

Topics: Web Client Software Factory, User Forum
Jun 10, 2008 at 1:59 PM
Hi,

I am looking for some source code or documentation on how to develop a solution (code generation) using the latest WCSF from a database.  If someone has some documetation a more info please feel to share it please.

Thanks
Brendan
Coordinator
Jun 10, 2008 at 6:27 PM
WCSF won't magically autogenerate a full application from a database.
However, I can tell you how we started on the Order Management RI.
We had a database (Northwind). We used the Repository Factory to create a data access layer based on a subset of the database.  We then hacked it to fit our needs and integrate with our expected user workflow, which we had designed onit he whiteboard.  Then we replaced the data store with an XML file (ONLY so users did not need to create a DB to run the sample application). 

I hope that helps a bit.

Michael Puleio -- patterns & practices
http://blogs.msdn.com/mpuleio
Jun 10, 2008 at 9:46 PM

Hi Michael,

I am trying to build a new application and have been reading lot about WCSF, currently I have VS 2005 and I have download the WCSF November 2007 install, also I have downloaded the Repository Factory too.
I have been doing a lot of research in understanding the MVP, to tell you frankly I am very confused at this point on how WCSF can used to build my project. As mentioned above, it was easy for me to build the DAL using Repository factory, now I am trying to create a WCSF and fit DAL into this. I would really appreciate if you have any documentation on how you built Order Management RI. I guess you do not have a DAL here.

I think my main issue is, understanding the MVP because this is my first project where I am trying to implement MVP.

Please advice.

Payur
Coordinator
Jun 11, 2008 at 11:16 PM
In the help file (I used the Web Client Software Factory Guidance and Help CHM file, but the integrated help should be identical) you should look at Technical Concepts->Views Testability Guidance.  This includes info on MVP, how to unit test a presenter, and explains what we did in one of the quickstarts.
We also have loads of sample code that we shipped in WCSF that includes unit tests.  Between the quickstarts, the reference implementations, and the help you should have enough to get you started.
If not, there are also a bunch of other resources online if you search for MVP, model view presenter.

Michael Puleio -- patterns & practices
http://blogs.msdn.com/mpuleio
Jun 12, 2008 at 11:47 AM
Thank you and I appreciate your response.