Using Foundational Modules in both WCSF & SCSF

Topics: Web Client Software Factory
Jun 2, 2008 at 11:44 AM
Does anybody have any experience with using Foundational Modules from a WCSF solution in a SCSF solution or vice versa? 

Is worth working towards?

I don't think think you can use them directly because they uses different (factory specific) components.

Kind Regard
Morten Ulrik Pedersen
Jun 2, 2008 at 3:49 PM
Edited Jun 2, 2008 at 6:15 PM

To reuse Foundational Modules between WCSF and SCSF is not straightforward, there are many stuff that are incompatible between both solutions and thinks specific to Web or WinForms environments.

If you have simple services that doesn’t use CAB/CWAB dependency injection, you may put them in a separated assembly and create a SCSF/WCSF Foundational module that register the services in the WorkItem/CompositionContainer.

Jonathan Cisneros

http://staff.southworks.net/blogs/jcisneros/

Jun 9, 2008 at 5:45 PM

mupatmupcorp wrote:
Does anybody have any experience with using Foundational Modules from a WCSF solution in a SCSF solution or vice versa? 

Is worth working towards?

I hope so ("worth working towards") because I'm in the process of doing so ;)   http://www.CodePlex.com/SDMS is the project I'm working on that will share libraries, services and modules between SCSF, WCSF and WSSF as applicable.   Currently I am wrapping up a contrib project on the SCSF side and once completed will be redirecting my attentions to WCSF where I will start the integration work utilizing Unity.   My early thoughts are to utilize the WCSF Guidance packages to generate modules, strip out the Web Client references and have Unity resolve the references (configured via a UnityStrategy from the WCSF container).  Once I get this running I will create a UnityStrategy for SCSF that will configure it from the WorkItem(s) as applicable.  

I'm reluctant to go a level deeper until a commitment is made by Microsoft to NOT update CAB to support Unity; where there are no current plans to do I trust this could change as Unity's popularity grows and the demand increases.  Either way my integration work will travel middle ground promising to minimize migration coding.

My vision statement is "provide capability to utilize WCSF guidance packages to generate modules that can be shared between both platforms".   Once again these are very early thoughts and at the rate I'm going (wrapping up my SCSF contrib project) it will probably be late June before I can get started on it.