WCSF Peoject on IIS7 fails to run due to error in _vti_cnf/web.config file

Topics: Web Client Software Factory, UIP Application Block discussion, User Forum
Apr 25, 2008 at 10:00 AM
Hi,

Hope this is the right place for this.

I have created a simple app using the WCSF in VS2008 and have published (using FPSE) to my local XP Box where it runs fine.
Uploading to my ISP which is running IIS7 on Win2008 and I get the following error:

Server Error in '/' Application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Configuration Error
Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Data at the root level is invalid. Line 1, position 1.

Source Error:

Line 1: vti_encoding:SR|utf8-nl
Line 2: vti_author:SR|HOSTINGUK\\SUL12434
Line 3: vti_modifiedby:SR|HOSTINGUK\\SUL12434

Source File: d:\inetpub\gavinsullivan.net\web\content\vticnf\web.config Line: 1

Has anyone encountered this problem before? If so, how did they solve it? (If at all)

I should point out that I published a single page app with a label and a class library project and this problem doesn't occur.
Additionally, my ISP is based in the UK.
Apr 25, 2008 at 3:03 PM
Hi,

In this topic: Data at the root level is invalid. Line 1, position 1 they solved this issue by deleting the web.config file located at _vti_cnf folder.
The files located at _vti_cnf are information files about your site created by the FrontPage extensions.

Please let me know if this helps.

Jonathan Cisneros
http://staff.southworks.net/blogs/jcisneros/default.aspx
Coordinator
Apr 25, 2008 at 3:28 PM
The factory was not designed for IIS7, and it is not a supported platform for the factory. If you can get it to work, great, but there are differences in the IIS7 pipeline that could be problematic. There are other differences that could be taken advantage of with a re-write of CWAB and WCSF.

Michael Puleio - patterns & practices
Bloghttp://blogs.msdn.com/mpuleio/
Apr 28, 2008 at 3:15 PM
Cheers for these.

If IIS7 is not supported then bummer.

I'll give the folder removal a go. You never know!!