Deployment granty

Topics: Web Client Software Factory
Nov 15, 2006 at 2:51 PM
<quote>
Because the modules that comprise the server-side solution are loosely coupled (that is, there is no hard dependency between them because the shell provides a standard but simple mechanism for them to interact with each other), these modules can be independently updated, developed, and deployed.
</quote>

How is this accomplished if the views are all in the same site project?

It would be nice to see some guidance on updating a very large web site with dozens of modules (each one dozens of views/flows).
Nov 17, 2006 at 4:36 PM
Hi Paulo,

With last week's drop you can deploy a new module with three steps:

1. Copy the module assemblies to the site's bin folder
2. Copy the Web pages to the site (in a sub-folder if desired)
3. Update the profile catalog xml file

Our goal is to provide xcopy deployment. Therefore, in this week's drop you will see that we have a new module enumerator service that doesn't require a central profile catalog. Instead is works with a separate .modinfo file within the site folder for each module. That means deployment will not require you to update a common file.

The Web pages for a module do need to reside in the site. We are continuing to explore common deployment scenarios, including what might be beneficial to automate.

Thanks,
Tim

Nov 18, 2006 at 4:09 PM
My concern is more about the deplyment of the views than the deployment of the modules.

Probably because VS2005 makes it difficult (or because I don't know how to) but, how would I do it if I wanted to deploy a very large web site module by module and deploy the views jsut as code and without markup code behind and sources?