How to bring application specific information into the workflow.

Topics: Web Client Software Factory
Nov 1, 2006 at 6:36 PM
As far as I can see, the controller in the reference implementation can interact with workflow by firing Navigate or MoveNext. When firing Navigate, the TransitionTo property is set in the PageFlowEventArgs. That property's value can be used in condition checks later on. My question for you is that what if I don't want to specify the desired "View". I just want to pass in some kind of a custom object/colletion. I would build this object/collection base on what I have on my view. Once this object/collection gets into the workflow, I would like to use the content in the object/collection in the conditions. In such a way, logic for figuring out the final view can be expressed in Rules.

How would I do that with your current PageFlowProvider implemenation? Please advise.

Thanks.

Jane
Nov 2, 2006 at 3:21 PM
Hi Jane,

We have a story coming in next week's iteration where we'll demonstrate this. But to give you heads up, it's the responsibility of the controller (or whatever component of your application that is interacting with the page flow - in our reference implementation it's the controller) to ensure that the page flow provider (in our reference implementation, one that uses Workflow Foundation) has enough information to decide the next page in the flow. You'll have the ability to put information into the page flow provider's environment/state such that it will be the provider implementation that can determine the next page, rather than your application specifying the next view. Therefore you can define rules in your page flow definition that use information in the environment.

Thanks again for your feedback - it's good to know we're hitting areas that are important to you.

Cheers,
Tim