Creating WCF services from WSDL

Topics: Web Client Software Factory
Jan 15, 2008 at 8:10 AM
Hi, I'm looking to get my first taste of the modelling edition of the factory after completing the hands on labs. I have a piece that I have the option to use it on, but sadly I am replacing an existing set of .asmx web services, and so am required to keep the interface exactly the same.

I know that with the previous incarnation of WCF, it was possible to reverse engineer the services using svcutil.exe, but I'm wondering if:

a) This is the only way to get the interfaces to match as really I'd prefer to do this 'top-down'?
b) There are any pitfalls and/or loss of cool stuff in doing it this way?
c) There's any guidance that can help me through the process?

Best Regards,

Carl
Jan 16, 2008 at 3:39 PM
Okay, no replies so far so I'll give you a different angle to look at this from:

I could build my services top down (which is my prefferred approach), but I need to replicate a response that looks something like this:

Service signature:

public CreateNewUserResponseStructure createNewUser(CreateNewUserRequestStructure createNewUserRequest)

CreateNewUserResponseStructure:

System.CodeDom.Compiler.GeneratedCodeAttribute("wsdl", "2.0.50727.26")
System.SerializableAttribute()
System.Diagnostics.DebuggerStepThroughAttribute()
System.ComponentModel.DesignerCategoryAttribute("code")
System.Xml.Serialization.XmlTypeAttribute(Namespace = "http://dfes.gsi.gov.uk/SingleSignOnService/ssotypes")
public partial class CreateNewUserResponseStructure
{

private object itemField;

/// <remarks/>
System.Xml.Serialization.XmlElementAttribute("Error", typeof(CreateNewUserErrorStructure))
System.Xml.Serialization.XmlElementAttribute("Results", typeof(CreateNewUserResultsStructure))
public object Item
{
get
{
return this.itemField;
}
set
{
this.itemField = value;
}
}
}

The problem I have is how to model this response structure so that the existing service subscribers do not need to change the way they interface with the service proxy classes?