Ideas for future reference example

Topics: Web Client Software Factory, User Forum
Mar 16, 2007 at 10:05 PM
Edited Mar 16, 2007 at 10:11 PM
Here are a few things I have seen missing and would either like to see you include because it should be part of the reference, or I am struggling with understanding which stance you guys would take in a future reference sample:

-Views that modify objects that have one to many, and many to many relationships (with checkboxes and drop-down lists for hooking them up)

-Localization of the Sitemap, exception error strings, and all UI layer strings

-Validation in the service/data access layer (and not in the presenter)

-Views that use several services, with objects that have relationships to each other and must be modified within a transaction

-Displaying validation errors next to fields that are invalid ala Entlib 3.0

-Standard list/new/edit/delete patterns ala rails (check out David's keynote for his CRUD discussion at http://www.scribemedia.org/2006/07/09/dhh/, very pertinent here)

-Javascript delete confirmation in views

-Code comments for the reference implementation code

-An NUnit testing approach that leverages dynamic mocks (rhino mock, nmock, or mocking in NUnit 2.4 RC) instead of the inherited, hardcoded mocks here

-MSBuild targets for Sandcastle documentation for the code

-Administrative views that let you exercise users, roles, and permissions (membership and authorization). You could probably use the example someone posted in the forums as a starting point.

-AJAX.NET paging, sorting, adding, deleting, editing

-Page Flows that reuse the same views

-Code that gathers information from the user interface using HtmlEncode to avoid blowing up when users enter HTML markup characters

Post any other ideas in the thread, thanks.
Coordinator
Mar 20, 2007 at 2:09 AM
Thank you for the input.
Please feel free to open these as items in Issue Tracker, so others can vote on them as well..
Mar 21, 2007 at 8:59 PM
Thanks Mike, I accidentally posted them all under one issue until I realized how your voting system works (like Digg). I put a comment in that one to have it deleted when you guys get around to it and then submitted each as separate feature requests.

Thanks
-Jayme

MichaelPuleio wrote:
Thank you for the input.
Please feel free to open these as items in Issue Tracker, so others can vote on them as well..