Error Enabling Web Client Development Guidance Package

Topics: Web Client Software Factory
Feb 23, 2007 at 6:57 PM
Edited Feb 24, 2007 at 12:37 PM
After having had problems running WCSF after installing I made a complete clean installation by first uninstalling anything that might have impact on WCSF:

To be precise I uninstalled the following in the specified order:
EntLib 3
WCSF
WSSF
WF Extenstions for VS2005
.Net 3.0
GAX
GAT
EntLib 2

After this I rebooted and installed the following in the specified order:

EntLib 2
GAX
GAT
.Net 3.0
WF Extenstions for VS2005
WCSF

To be over precautious (?) I rebooted again and then started VS2005. No WCSF templates are available to choose from. If I enable Web Client Development in the Guidance Package Manager and press OK I get the following Recepie Framework Error:
Unexpected error loading template file name C:\Program Files\Microsoft Web Client Factory\WCSF Guidance Package.vstemplate. Make sure the template is well formed and try again.
Along with the following exception details:

Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.RecipeFrameworkException: Unexpected error loading template file name C:\Program Files\Microsoft Web Client Factory\WCSF Guidance Package\Templates\Solutions\WCSF Guidance Package.vstemplate. Make sure that the template is well formed and try again. ---> System.ArgumentException: The template does not have the correct WizardExtension data.
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.Templates.TemplateMetaData.ReadTemplate()
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.Templates.TemplateMetaData.ReadTemplate()
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.Templates.TemplateMetaData..ctor(String templateFileName, CommandID command, String packageName)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.Templates.VSTemplatesService.Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.Common.IVsTemplatesService.GetTemplate(String templateFileName)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.Templates.VSTemplatesService.GetTemplate(String templateFile, ArrayList templates, GuidancePackage guidancePackage)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.Templates.VSTemplatesService.GetTemplates(String directory, ArrayList templates, GuidancePackage guidancePackage)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.Templates.VSTemplatesService.PopulateTemplates(String basePath, ArrayList templates, GuidancePackage guidancePackage)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.Templates.VSTemplatesService.Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.Common.IVsTemplatesService.GetHostAssets(String basePath)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.VsGuidancePackage.InitializeTemplateCommands()
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.VsGuidancePackage.InitializeCommands()
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.VsGuidancePackage.OnSited()
at Microsoft.Practices.ComponentModel.ContainerComponent.set_Site(ISite value)
at System.ComponentModel.Container.Add(IComponent component, String name)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.SolutionPackagesContainer.OnEnabledPackage(Object sender, PackageEventArgs e)

After struggling with this for a week any help is greatly appreciated. I am running on Win XP (SP2 of course).

/Robin
Feb 24, 2007 at 8:30 PM
Another weird thing...
Some of the .vstemplate files contains the following lines:
<WizardExtension>
<Assembly>Microoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio, Version=1.0.51206.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a</Assembly>
<FullClassName>Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.Templates.UnfoldTemplate</FullClassName>
</WizardExtension>

But if I look at the assembly it says the version is 1.0.60429.0.

And other .vstemplate files says this version (1.0.60429.0)

Very confusing. Which one is the correct number and is this the cause of error? Why does it appear? How do I fix it?

/Robin
Feb 28, 2007 at 2:06 PM
Problem is finally solved.
Also reinstalling VS2005 made the trick... don't ask me why though.

Any way, it is now working ok.

/Robin