Error enabling package

Topics: Web Client Software Factory
Feb 16, 2007 at 2:43 PM
I've just installed the WCSF but I don't get any Project Templates installed (so I can't choose New Project for a new Guidance Project for WCSF).

I had similar problems after installing WSSF, this was corrected by manually opening all *.vstemplate and replacing a version number for Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio to Version=1.0.60429.0 instead of some 1.0.5-something.

When I try to enable the Web Client Development Guidance Package I get the following error:

Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.RecipeFrameworkException: Unexpected error loading template file name C:\Program Files\Microsoft Web Client Factory\WCSF Guidance Package\Templates\Solutions\WCSF Guidance Package.vstemplate. Make sure that the template is well formed and try again. ---> System.ArgumentException: The template does not have the correct WizardExtension data.
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.Templates.TemplateMetaData.ReadTemplate()
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.Templates.TemplateMetaData.ReadTemplate()
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.Templates.TemplateMetaData..ctor(String templateFileName, CommandID command, String packageName)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.Templates.VSTemplatesService.Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.Common.IVsTemplatesService.GetTemplate(String templateFileName)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.Templates.VSTemplatesService.GetTemplate(String templateFile, ArrayList templates, GuidancePackage guidancePackage)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.Templates.VSTemplatesService.GetTemplates(String directory, ArrayList templates, GuidancePackage guidancePackage)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.Templates.VSTemplatesService.PopulateTemplates(String basePath, ArrayList templates, GuidancePackage guidancePackage)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.Templates.VSTemplatesService.Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.Common.IVsTemplatesService.GetHostAssets(String basePath)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.VsGuidancePackage.InitializeTemplateCommands()
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.VsGuidancePackage.InitializeCommands()
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.VsGuidancePackage.OnSited()
at Microsoft.Practices.ComponentModel.ContainerComponent.set_Site(ISite value)
at System.ComponentModel.Container.Add(IComponent component, String name)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.SolutionPackagesContainer.OnEnabledPackage(Object sender, PackageEventArgs e)

Thanks in advance for any help in solving this.
/Robin
Feb 16, 2007 at 7:09 PM
Did you install the Guidance Automation Extensions (GAX) ? If you don't install it, none of the guidance packages will show up.

If you haven't installed GAX, I recommend uninstalling the WCSF, installing GAX, and then re-installing the WCSF again. I don't know for sure if the WCSF will show up if you install GAX after it.

Check the system requirements for other items on the download page:

- Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0
- Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0
- Visual Studio 2005 extensions for .NET Framework 3.0 (Windows Workflow Foundation)

Of course, it should say GAX as well, but doesn't.

The GAX is located at:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=C0A394C0-5EEB-47C4-9F7B-71E51866A7ED&displaylang=en

Regards,

Dave

David Hayden
Microsoft MVP C#
Feb 17, 2007 at 7:50 AM
Edited Feb 17, 2007 at 7:51 AM
Hi Dave and thanks for your reply.

Yes, I do have GAX installed. (I have installed Web Service Software Factory which also have this pre req, I had some trouble with that too though, but after some fiddeling about with manually changing .vstemplate files it now works correctly).
I also have Entlib 2 and 3 along with GAT, .Net 3 and WWF Extensions installed.

/Robin
Coordinator
Feb 19, 2007 at 10:58 PM
Wow. I've never needed to hack the vstemplate files, and I would not recommend the practice.

If you are running on Vista:
Did you run the installers as an adminstrator?
Have you always run VS as an administrator?
(I have had GPs disappear when I did not run as an admin...)

If you are not running Vista:
Which version of GAX is installed?
Does anything show up under Guidance Packages in VS's New Project dialog?
Feb 20, 2007 at 6:13 AM
Trust me, it wasn't my idea. And I was desperate too :-)

I'm running on Win XP if I look in Add Remove Programs it says version 1.0.51104. And looking under Program Files the EULA says Guidance Automation Extensions and Guidance Automation Toolkit June 2006 Community Technology Preview.

I don't have any of the WCSF Guidance Packages showing up in the New Project Dialog. I do have WSSF Guidance Packages though (after some fiddeling about in the .vstemplates :-)

Feb 20, 2007 at 7:20 AM
Edited Feb 20, 2007 at 7:21 AM
One other thing that I forgot to mention. I have EntLib 2.0 in the GAC, so there is a strongly named version of EntLib on my machine. It is the January 2006 version that is signed, but might that affect in any way?