ORM Mapper

Topics: Web Client Software Factory
Feb 4, 2007 at 1:02 AM
Does the WCSF provide for ORM implementation, or is that outside the Scope of the project?

PS...sorry about the previous post, just saw "Name" not discussion name, lol.
Feb 4, 2007 at 5:37 AM
No, there isn't any ORM with the WCSF, but there is also no reason why you can't use one of the existing ORMs such as NHibernate, WORM, DomainObjects for .NET or similar items such as SubSonic (which has out-of-the-box support for the DAAB).

My guess is P&P will await the release of ADO.NET with "Orcas" which will bring the much anticipated Entity Framework. If you need an ORM that is configurable with the EntLib straight away, you can also check out EasyObjects, though, I'm not a great fan of their stored procedure ORM appraoch.

Personally, I give my vote to DomainObjects for .NET and with the release of the Application Block Software Factory in EntLib 3.0 I was toying with the idea to wrap it up as an application block. Of course, if time permits :-p

Regards,
Karl
Coordinator
Feb 5, 2007 at 8:04 PM
A full ORM implementation was outside the scope for this. You might want to look at the Web Service Software Factory and take a look at the Data Access Guidance Package.
Feb 13, 2007 at 1:18 AM
Since you can enable/disable guidance packages, there's no reason why you can't enable the Service Factory's Data Access guidance within the Web Client Factory to create CRUD procedures and some basic ORM implementation.

Regards,
Mike