EntLib 3.0 Validation Application Block and WCSF

Topics: Web Client Software Factory
Feb 1, 2007 at 6:49 PM
I am wondering about the use of the new Validation Application Block in EntLib 3.0 with WCSF.

I noticed in the source code that there appears to be a version of it under GP -> Libraries -> Validation, but there is no version in the signed assemblies.

Will a version of it be made available when EntLib 3.0 is released? Do you expect to move to the new EntLib 3.0 library when it is released?

Thanks,

Dave

David Hayden
Microsoft MVP C#
Coordinator
Feb 2, 2007 at 12:51 AM
I expect in R2 of the WCSF, that we will utilize Enterprise Library v3.0.
There are, of course, no promises yet on the scope of R2, but this is on the list of features to consider. R2 is slated for later this fiscal year (check out the Project Roadmap on the Home page)

Now, why does the EntLib v3.0 CTP look like the Validation code in the WCSF Guidance Package?
The EntLib Validation Application Block is loosely based on the design of the Validation code we have in the Guidance Package, which I flat-out stole from the Web Service Factory code tree. ;-) Chris Tavares did a great job putting this validation code together to tackle a big percentage of the bugs in v2 of the WSSF. Chris and I (and others here at p&p) agreed to copy-paste code re-use until this became a part of Enterprise Library. (I know it was not ideal. We should have had a signed DLL and had binary re-use. Unfortunately, you sometimes have to do the expedient thing instead of the right thing now, and then do the best thing later.) The version that ships in EntLib v3.0 will probably differ from what we have in WCSF and WSSF, as the EntLib version needs to handle the scenarios we considered and others as well. We'll figure out the integation of this into future p&p deliverables at the best time for each project.

I hope this helps you understand the similarities in the code bases, as well as our reasoning and decisions.

In case you can't tell, I was playing with the new formatting options here in the discussion forums. I hope you don't mind.
Feb 2, 2007 at 3:15 PM
Thanks for the background. It helps.

I am wondering what it would take to use the Enteprise Library 3.0 Validation Application Block in the interim with WCSF until R2 is released, but I guess we shouldn't speculate until EntLib 3.0 is released :)

Thanks,

Dave

David Hayden
Microsoft MVP C#