Is WCSF compatible with EntLib 4.1?

Topics: Web Client Software Factory
Jan 18, 2009 at 6:00 PM
I was following this post on how to upgradeWCSF to EntLib 4.0 (http://www.codeplex.com/websf/Wiki/View.aspx?title=HowTo%20WCSF%20EntLib4), however my original intention of following those instructions were to upgrade the WCSF to EntLib 4.1.  Everything was going well until I found that EntLib 4.1 comes with an ObjectBuilder2.dll instead of the original ObjectBuilder.dll  so, if I change the reference on WCSF to the new ObjectBuilder, I first need to replace all the using statements to point to the correct version however even after that there are some breaking changes between the two object builders that make the compilation unsuccesful.

I'm wondering if there is a migration path or even a planned release that targets EntLib 4.1.

Thanks in advance for any feedback in this matter
Jan 18, 2009 at 7:57 PM
You can vote for this functionality, Support for the new Unity Dependency Injection Container.
Jan 19, 2009 at 5:28 AM
Indeed, voting will surely help to get it at the top of the current list of features the team is considering. In fact, I'll be pushing this as much as possible since it gets painfully confusing to use Unity and WCSF's DI container within one project.

The current plan for the team is start an advisory board somewhere in February or March, so expect to see some first thoughts quickly after that.

Dennis Doomen
Aviva Solutions Netherlands
Developer
Jan 19, 2009 at 4:22 PM

Hi MrUnderhill,

The purpose of the article that you mentioned is not rewriting the WCSF neither to use ObjectBuilder2 nor Unity. It just allows you to use some of the new features and bug fixes in new releases of Enterprise Library. Following this approach you will have two completely different and separate containers available (CWAB with ObjectBuilder used by WCSF, and Unity with ObjectBuilder2 used by EntLib 4.0 / 4.1).

So, if there is a new feature in Enterprise Library 4.0 / 4.1 that you absolutely want to use, then you should strongly consider upgrading. But if you just want to use it because it is the latest version, consider how you will handle things like having two containers in your design, as well as other complications / challenges that could come out.

Perhaps you could find useful the following threads in the WCSF forum where Michael Puleio gives some recommendations on this topic:

·         How To: Use WC-SF with Enterprise Library 4

·         Confused about EL4 option

Regarding the future release of WCSF, a month ago Blaine Wastell posted in his blog the Roadmap for WCSF. As he says, they are considering a number of new features for the Web Client Software Factory and are taking into account the feedback from the community. Some of these new possible features planned are:

·         Unity for a container

·         Improve performance of CWAB

In addition, Michael Puleio created the thread: WCSF Roadmap and Request for Feedback in the WCSF forum to have an easy place for folks to provide feedback about the Roadmap and request features for the next version of WCSF.

Please let me know if this helps.

Mariano Converti

http://blogs.southworks.net/mconverti