Does the WCSF have staying power?

Topics: Web Client Software Factory, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Nov 17, 2008 at 1:06 AM
Greetings,

My company is evaluating the Web Client Software Factory for use in our most visible project for the coming year.  We are new to WCSF and have been exploring the technology for a week, with an overall favorable impression.  We have several questions that you more experienced folks can perhaps help with.

1. What is Microsoft's commitment to this technology and what are the chances that Microsoft could stop putting resources into the platform?
  2. What is the market penetration of WCSF?  (How many organizations use it in production applications.)  Are there any hard numbers on this?
  3. Can you recommend any good whitepapers or tutorials, for management and/or senior developers?
  4. How does the MVC (Model-View-Controller) framework fit in with the software factory?

I'd appreciate anyone taking a crack at some or all of these questions. 

Thanks,

BCB

Nov 17, 2008 at 4:05 PM

Hi,

Perhaps, you may find answers for some of your question in the reply provided by Blaine Wastell (the Program Manager of the WCSF project from the p&p team) to the following forum thread:

·         Quo vadis WCSF?

Regarding to the market penetration/the amount of organizations that use WCSF, Michael Puleio (from the p&p team and he is one of the WCSF project's Coordinator) answered a similar question where he said:

·         "[…] I know of a number of companies that are using WCSF, some of them on big sites, and I cannot talk about any of them due to the legal and confidentiality ramifications.  However, there are such applications out there. […]"

I believe the documentation that ships with the factory is a good place to start, as it is targeted to different audiences (developers and architects) and it is a first class citizen of the release, meaning that a lot of effort was invested in the docs.

You can also check the online version of the documentation here:

·         Web Client Software Factory

Please, let me know if you find this useful. 

Ezequiel Sculli

http://blogs.southworks.net/esculli/