Web pages in modules

Topics: Web Client Software Factory
Jan 23, 2007 at 8:51 PM
Hi,
In this release, is it possible to create the web pages in the modules themselves? Because whenever I create a new module it says that its going to add the aspx pages to the main web site.

From a development prospect how would you seperate this so that different teams can work on the different modules (their business logic and user UI experience)?

Currently, it seems that all the different development teams would need access to the main web site and have to work in their respective folders.

If this is how its supposed to be done currently, then thats fine. I just want to make sure i am not missing anything.

Regards
Jan 24, 2007 at 5:53 PM
Hello,

You are correct - you must deploy the Web pages (aspx/ascx) files to the Web site, apart from the module assemblies.

This means that a developeer will need a Web site for testing. Some may work off a copy of the full Web site, but you can also create multiple sites in your Web client Visual Studion solution (for example, you might have a basic site that you use for testing, or if you might want to test a foundational module against different types of sites.) Therefore we updated the recipes to ask you for ths Web site to use when you create views and modules (useful if you have added a second, or third, Web site to your solution).

We toyed with the idea of creating a "Deploy Module" recipe that would deploy the module's assemblies and Web pages to a selected site, but alas, that didn't make the feature cut.

Cheers,
Tim
Coordinator
Jan 26, 2007 at 9:34 PM
Wanderer said:
"Currently, it seems that all the different development teams would need access to the main web site and have to work in their respective folders."

I would actually setup each team have a "team" website project checked into their version control system. When the developers work, they work off a local copy of the team site. When it comes time to deploy the team's module to the "main" app (in a test or production environment), they would copy the aspx/ascx pages from the team site and the DLLs created by the team's build into the "main" site. So long as the "main" site is CWAB aware (with the proper references and such in the web config) it should work and be testable/runnable.

Does that make sense? It may require a little bit of work to "bundle" the web pages and dlls into a deployable format, but is should be simple and allow teams to work in isolation.
Jan 28, 2007 at 12:54 AM
Yes, makes sense. I am currently exploring these scenarios.

Thanks for the input I will test it out and see how it works.

Regards.
May 7, 2007 at 7:41 PM
How would this work in the case where a module needs a service provided in the shell?