Site Maps

Topics: Web Client Software Factory
Dec 17, 2006 at 8:46 PM
I've been trying to trace where the custom Site Map Provider gets the name of the application from... I believe breadcrumbs are displayed according to the following pattern at the moment; "Application > Module".

The problem is, "TestApplication17" isn't the best name for the root node! For a real development, the solution name is unlikely to be appropriate.

How would I go about changing this? I've dug around a bit in the code but not managed to find it yet, and its getting late...

This kind of raises another question - what if I want to configure the site map more? For example, sometimes 1st level menu links won't actually reflect logical module divisions. I might have modules named "Accounts" and "Maintenance", but want top level links to "My Accounts", "Statements", "Update My Details", and "Reports". This is a bit of a contrived example, but do you see what I'm getting at?

Its good to see the factory evolving though guys - good work!

Simon
Dec 18, 2006 at 3:20 PM
I've been thinking about this a bit more since the above post.

Firstly, I'm aware I could use another provider - but I like the fact it is all automated based on the modules, and that if I plug in another module the relevant links appear.

Secondly, I was wondering about some mechanism for modules to provide a catalogue of what navigable-to nodes they provide. For example, mark each View with a SiteMapNavigable(Parent=Root attribute.

The provider could then aggregate and merge all modules' requirements to build the final site map.

Any thoughts?
Jan 3, 2007 at 4:43 PM
For the record, and excuse me talking to myself on this thread (!), but I've found the answer to my own question...

The name of the application root node in the site map is set up in the RegisterSiteMapInformation method in the shell module initializer class.

HTH
Coordinator
Jan 4, 2007 at 6:32 AM
I am glad that you figured it out. Thank you for posting the resolution so that others can find the solution.

We have been busy getting the factory ready to ship so we have not been as responsive as we would like. Over the next 1 - 2 weeks, we will have more resources available to respond to questions.

patterns & practices team