Other OOP frameworks

Topics: Web Client Software Factory
Dec 15, 2006 at 6:30 PM
Does anyone know if WCSF can be used with other oop frameworks such as Rocky Lhotka's CSLA? or is Object Builder the only choice one has?
Dec 17, 2006 at 4:19 AM
I don't think Rocky's framework and ObjectBuilder are comparable.

ObjectBuilder is just a dependency injection framework, it has nothing to do with business classes, data access, etc.
Dec 18, 2006 at 12:46 PM
Must one use Object Builder with the WCSF.
What we'd like to do is make use of the navigation, session state etc, built into the WCSF but use Rocky's framework in the middle tier.
We were successfully able to use the UIPAB with CSLA, and I wondered if you can think of any reason why we could not do the same with WCSF.
Dec 18, 2006 at 2:27 PM
I've not used CSLA so I am speaking from a general point of view rather than specific experience with that framework here, but I don't see any issue with integrating CSLA.

The factory automates pretty generic ways of doing things, so there is nothing to stop you using bespoke or another framework's components to bind to the UI, pass through to the business layer, etc, etc.

All you need to do is consider the interface to the logic - in some of the examples there are components that communicate with business logic in remote web services, but you can apply the same "facade" approach to any business logic layer.

If anything, the design of the factory is likely to encourage very well defined interfaces to a business logic layer - which is obviously good practice.

I'm likely to go this route too, as frequently we have too much logic to fit into a simple Controller - so the Controller will effectively manage the relationship with a large logic framework.

Hope that makes sense - I'd be very interested in other's comments too.
Dec 18, 2006 at 11:40 PM
hurdonjl, it all depends on what csla does. if it's a framework that promotes a certain type of architecture design, then it probably won't play nice with the software factory. if it's just a bunch of components/library api like the enterprise library, then there shouldn't be a problem integrating it. you can either integrate it with the ioc container (objectbuilder) or new up everything and forget about it. the choice is up to you.
Dec 19, 2006 at 12:27 AM
I appreciate the feedback!

shinakuma, Both CSLA and WCSF have a lot to offer. Looks like I'll have to get my hands dirty with WCSF to see if there is a marriage there. I appreciate the comments.
If anybody is interested, I'd be glad to report back how things turned out.

Regards.