Roadmap for 2012 and beyond?

Topics: Web Guidance v-Next (not WCSF)
Oct 6, 2011 at 8:47 PM

Hello! I have not used any of the web guidance yet. I have extensive experience with Prism, and loved it. In reading over some of the web client docs, I saw the concepts are quite similar, which is great.

But, what is the roadmap for the Web Client Developer Guidance for 2012 and beyond?

I organize a .NET meetup in Atlanta, and we will soon be studying a recent book as a "workshop", Professional Agile .NET Development with Scrum (http://www.meetup.com/AtlAltDotNet/events/25566231/) This book approaches its project using MVC, which is great. It also uses a lot of open source tools and agile practices, like SpecFlow, NHibernate, etc.

But, I currently work in an environment (US CDC.GOV) that not a lot of people have adopted MVC, and they still want to see WebForms guidance. 

Will both MVC and WebForms be supported going forward at least through 2012 in this guidance? If so I will consider recommending people to look into it and we will do some workshops based on it also.

Thanks!
Josh

Coordinator
Nov 29, 2011 at 6:00 AM

A new patterns & practices deliverable called Project Silk replaces the Web Client Developer Guidance project so you should check it out and see if it meets your needs. At this time, we do not plan on updating the Web Client Developer Guidance project. If there is something missing in Project Silk let us know and we will consider it for a future version.

Dec 16, 2011 at 9:44 AM

Project Silk only supports ASP.net MVC. Will there be something for Web Forms with Visual Studio 2011 and .net 4.5?

Thanks

Pradeep

Jan 13, 2012 at 9:40 PM

There is nothing on the roadmap at this time regarding this.  The current roadmap can be found here.

Thanks,

Bob

Mar 7, 2013 at 9:38 AM
Hi blainew/brumfb,

Reading at your reply on using project silk as Web Client Developer Guidance (Software Factory) is no longer supported, does Silk support a hybrid model of simultaneously using asp.net legacy pages (aspx) and new views/controllers etc that Silk would bring ?

We know that aspx and MVC could co-exists but not sure if using Silk with legacy aspx pages would work?

I'm currently using Web Client Software Factory and was thinking for a better alternative to it since it's sort of deprecated.

Any recommendations for this?