WCSF integrated with WCF, WPF, CardSpace, LINQ and REST?

May 7, 2008 at 4:27 AM
Is WCSF supports or integrated with WCF, WPF, CardSpace, LINQ and REST?

Please advice
May 7, 2008 at 9:28 AM

jocelynn wrote:
Is WCSF supports or integrated with WCF, WPF, CardSpace, LINQ and REST?

Please advice

WCF: Its not integrated, but it supports it is my believe.
WPF: No
CardSpace: No, there may be some code out there in the community that integrats this
LinQ: Everything written in late C# supports this feature. You only need to target 3.5 to get this is my believe.
REST: No again.

I believe this is the correct answers to your question, but it would be nice to get this confirmed by Cris Tavares.
May 7, 2008 at 9:34 AM
OK. But you not so confident with your answer.

Anyone can confirm the answers given by Benny is correct?

Coordinator
May 7, 2008 at 5:33 PM
Edited May 7, 2008 at 5:34 PM
BennyXNO has it right. I'll add my own 2cents to each answer.
WCF: There is nothing to help you do WCF in the WCSF. Go check out the Web Service Software Factory, which is p&p's guidance for WCF.
WPF: WPF is a client side technology, nto a web technology. The Smart Client Software Factory has limited support for WPF via interop with a WinForms host. Prism is guidance on how to build a a composite WPF application.
CardSpace: No. Check the WCSFContrib project.
LinQ: Nothing that hurts or helps here. Just like BennyXNO said, it is there as part of the framework, and you can use it.
REST: Nope. The WCSFContrib community may have something for this. Also, I have heard that someone built a RESTful add-on to the Microsoft MVC framework, but I have not seen it.

jocelynn, based on your posts across several projects, it looks like you have specific requirements that cover a very wide range of technologies, and are looking for something that helps pull them all together. If this is the case, maybe posting a new thread asking for advice and describing the the problem you are trying to solve with may help more than just asking about the technologies one by one.

Michael Puleio - patterns & practices
Bloghttp://blogs.msdn.com/mpuleio/
May 8, 2008 at 2:37 AM
Hi MichaelPuleio, thank you for your advice. I don't know where shoud I post my new thread since my new development will be involving in web and winform application.

Anyway, I am recently do the research on different new technology to make sure we are using or implement right technology in our new development.
We hope to implement the composite applications together with workflow.

From my understanding in the research composite applications and workflow application make life earsier during maintenance period or later stage, this is because we can develop the new features or functionality as smallpart and plug into the core applications. In other words, composite applications playing as plug and play concept and it is easy to customise our applications in later stage.

For the workflow, it is interpret the flow in diagram where human can understand the business logic than code. It helps us to improve the developer's productivity in later stage as well.

Besides that, we plans to implement disconnected concept in our new system means that user able to use the system while internet connection is down or unplug. The data will be sync to centralise DB when internet connection is up.

In order to meet the requirements as mentioned above we actually can implement SCSF for the winform application and WCSF for the web application. But, I am so afraid to implement it in our new development. This is because .NET framework 3.5 or Visual Studio 2008 provides or full integrated with range of features example WPF, WCF, WF, CardSpace, LINQ, REST, Javascript debugger and so on.

We don't plan to implement WPF in our application for now but we might using it for new module in later stage. That is why I posted so many question just to confirm whether SCSF and WCSF are supports or integrated with the features available in .NET framework 3.5 or VS 2008.

We don't need the features for now but we might need it in later stage.

Please advice me if you have better ideas or suggestions for my case.

Thank you
Coordinator
May 8, 2008 at 5:15 PM

jocelynn wrote:
<snip>
But, I am so afraid to implement it in our new development. This is because .NET framework 3.5 or Visual Studio 2008 provides or full integrated with range of features example WPF, WCF, WF, CardSpace, LINQ, REST, Javascript debugger and so on.
<snip>

Both the recent WCSF and SCSF releases are meant for VS2008 and .NET3.5. They build upon the existing platform, and do not take anything away from it. They should integrate well with the features you listed. The only challenge I see is that CardSpace may not play well with WCSF, but that is a guess based on very limited info. Again, we add to the platform, and may help with some areas or features, but don't stop developers from using the other platform features.

As to the rest of the architecture you describe, it sounds reasonable. Both WCSF and SCSF can act as front ends to whatever WCF services you want to work with, and I'd recommend using the Service Factory for creating those WCF services.

Michael Puleio - patterns & practices
Bloghttp://blogs.msdn.com/mpuleio/