sitemap creation

Topics: Web Client Software Factory
Apr 29, 2008 at 5:45 PM
Edited Apr 29, 2008 at 6:05 PM
I am trying to figure out the best way to use the sitemapprovder, and if I should be using it at all. We have a left navigation menu and a top menu. The items on the top and the left are not representations of modules rather actions. The actions on the left menu trigger what should be displayed on the top. In other words, the top menu items are children of the the left navigation menu item. I'm trying to figure out the best way to implement this.

One way I believe it will work is by creating all the sitemap nodes and children in the RegisterSiteMapInformation() method in the moduleinitializer class. I could then use the MenuItemDataBound() methods in the class behind to display the proper children based on the left navigation selection.

Do you think this would be the best approach?
Apr 30, 2008 at 6:20 PM
Hi

If the items on the left menu are independent (the content on the view changes depending on what the user selects form the left menu), a simpler solution would be create multiple views with the top menus (one for each item on the left menu).
Use the default configuration of WCSF to add one view per action on the left menu (this will generate the left navigation tree), then add one menu on the top for each view with the specific menu items corresponding to that view or item on the left menu. In the Views implement the actions of the top menu using the MenuItemClick event and e.CommandName to identify the item the user choose.

Please let me know if this helps.

Jonathan Cisneros
http://staff.southworks.net/blogs/jcisneros/default.aspx
May 1, 2008 at 1:47 PM
Jonathan,

Thanks for the comment! Do you have an example of how this would work?