ASCX or ASPX inside modules

Dec 10, 2010 at 5:03 PM

Hi,

I've seen a bunch of samples about WCSF and I haven't seen usercontrols or aspx pages defined inside modules. They're on the development site.

My concept of module is a business requirement that is implemented outside of the main development site, and that can have a presentation layer, business layer, data layer, or none of those. Nevertheless, the main development site doesn't know about this module at compile time and the module should be hosted inside the site.

Is there any particular reason for not defining the module's presentation layer on the module itself? For example, I've done a couple of projects with DNN and the main site knew nothing about the modules, it just hosts it. Similar to PRISM aka Composite Application Library, the Shell doesn't know about its modules, it just provides a means to host the modules content.

Can this be achieved with WCSF? If so, is there any sample with this kind of architecture?

Best regards,

MF.

Developer
Dec 10, 2010 at 7:20 PM
Edited Dec 10, 2010 at 7:22 PM

Hi MF,

As explained in the WCSF MSDN documentation, "You can use the Composite Web Application Block to easily create Web client applications that are composed of Web pages that exist in different modules. The application block does not contain explicit support for creating Web pages composed of user interface elements contained in different modules. This ability will be addressed is a future release."

You can read more about the structure of modules in this article from the WCSF documentation.

I hope you find this helpful.

Guido Leandro Maliandi
http://blogs.southworks.net/gmaliandi

Dec 13, 2010 at 9:24 AM

Hello Guido,

Thanks for your response.

What I would like to know is why there isn't samples with this approach. I would like to know if it makes sense at all, or if there are technical limitations that prevent us to use web pages declared in modules in an easy way and that's why I can't find samples about it.

Best regards,

MF.

Developer
Dec 13, 2010 at 6:29 PM

Hi MF,

At the time the WCSF was created, it was a technical limitation of ASP.NET, since web pages are not compiled, and hence could not be found inside an assembly. However, as explained on the Modular Web Applications section of the Web Guidance, this is no longer a limitation.

I hope you find this helpful.

Guido Leandro Maliandi
http://blogs.southworks.net/gmaliandi