Education Materials

Topics: User Forum
Nov 13, 2006 at 4:06 PM
This is a very interesting framework (with compeling reasons to use it), but it is complex and a lot to digest. Will the hands-on labs provide comprehensive coverage of the framework? Do you intend to publish a companion book and/or offer training courses?
Nov 17, 2006 at 4:04 PM
Hi,

Ideally the factory is only as complex as necessary, and no more. (Of course, that's a fuzzy line.) If there are particular areas you feel are difficult to grasp, or overly complex for what you want to do, the please let us know. Where possible, we'd prefer to refactor, reduce, and/or simplify, before trying to address it with training or more docs.

That being said, the primary target is enterprise developers, who often work in distributed teams (physically or logically), on Web client applications (i.e. not just content sites). Therefore we've included and infrastructure that supports loosly-coupled modules and page flow.

We will publish how-to topics, QuickStarts, and more with the release. Our approach is to typically wait for a short period after the release to being the hands on labs. This allows us to incorporate feedback on the release into the labs. But the more feedback we can get now, the more likely we can get content into the docs that ship with the library.

Thanks,
Tim
Nov 17, 2006 at 5:16 PM
Hi Tomtag -

We do have plans for collateral content (including Dev & Arch HOL, powerpoint decks, demos, etc) after we ship the first release later in December.

This is similar to what we've done with the Smart Client Software Factory.

But as Tim mentioned in the previous post, we typically do this shortly after release. We need to finish the core assets first.

Thanks! keep the good feedback coming.
eugeniop
Nov 17, 2006 at 9:42 PM
Hi Tim and Eugeniop,

I'm planning the next generation of our enterprise LOB web application. If we use your factory as the basis of our application framework, we would need tutorials and how-to guides that address users of the factory. I'm less interested in knowing exactly how the CompositeWeb or ObjectBuilder works, for instance, and more interested in how to use them properly. So, the reference application is most interesting to me. I'd like to see meaty examples of UI pages that perform data binding, invoke SQL procedures, call web services, use AJAX, etc. I'd like to know how to use GAX/GAT to govern its proper use. The framework needs to be simple so that application developers don't have to be architects. Keep in mind that enterprise software involves virtual teams, parallel project development (on seperate parts of the system) and customized modules for specialized client implementations.

HTH,
Tom
Dec 26, 2006 at 5:27 AM
I downloaded Release 1.0.0.716 Alpha
(Dec-20-2006) and started to expore WCSF. It seems to be interesting and worth proceeding further but frankly speaking the documentation provided in not able to convey the concepts. Quick starts are also not that helpful and even following exact steps given in quick starts does not work. If somebody can provide me links for proper documentation and hands-on lab would be of great help for me to get acquentd fater.