The content in the application file is not valid

Feb 28, 2008 at 9:55 AM
Hi,
I have installed Web Client Software Factory - February 2008 and then created a wcsf projekt. When I compile it I get this error:
Error 1 The content in the application file is not valid. ...\WebSites\WebClientApplication1\Global.asax 1.

The content in Global.asax is:
<%@ Application Language="C#" Inherits="Microsoft.Practices.CompositeWeb.WebClientApplication" %>.

Any idea?
Thanks.
Feb 28, 2008 at 10:44 AM
Edited Feb 28, 2008 at 10:49 AM
Where did you get this release? It's at my knowledge not released yet?

Sorry found it!

Web Client Software Factory - February 2008

Ill test if i get the same errors as you!
Feb 28, 2008 at 11:24 AM
Hi Shahram,

Does your computer meet the requirements?
Have you already installed:
1- Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5
2- Guidance Automation Extensions - February 2008 Release
3- Microsoft Visual Studio 2008
?

Arash
Feb 28, 2008 at 2:53 PM
Yes, I have all those installed plus I have installed Web Service Software Factory Feb 2008
and it works fine.
Feb 28, 2008 at 8:15 PM
It seems it's a encoding related error.
After created a new web client app I must manually change all files encoding from Western to UTF8!
My windows vista is english.
What is this issue with visual studio and encoding, I had have same problem with windows live apps too.
Hope there is a soulution for this beside fixing it manually every time you create a new web client app.
Coordinator
Feb 29, 2008 at 12:54 AM
Edited Feb 29, 2008 at 12:56 AM


shahram wrote:
It seems it's a encoding related error.
After created a new web client app I must manually change all files encoding from Western to UTF8!
My windows vista is english.
What is this issue with visual studio and encoding, I had have same problem with windows live apps too.
Hope there is a soulution for this beside fixing it manually every time you create a new web client app.


On my system (which is relatively clean since I rebuilt it last week), the web config defaults to UTF-8 with new WCSF WAP and web site projects.
Which files did you need to change the encoding on to get this to work? The web.config is the only one with an option for encoding that I have found so far.

I did find this post about file encoding in VS: http://blogs.msdn.com/mikhailarkhipov/archive/2004/08/07/210769.aspx
It looks like VS may be defaulting to the default codepage on your system. (step 4 of what VS looks at, in his post)

If this is happening with other project types as well (Windows Live apps?), this sounds like the most likely reason for your problem.

Michael Puleio - patterns & practices
Webhttp://msdn.microsoft.com/practices/
Bloghttp://blogs.msdn.com/mpuleio/
Feb 29, 2008 at 8:54 AM
Thank you for the answer.
I add this <globalization fileEncoding="UTF-8"/> to web.config and it works now.
I will try find the template file for web.config and change it.
Coordinator
Feb 29, 2008 at 7:36 PM
I was going to suggest that as a solution today, after sleeping on the problem last night.

The template should not be too hard to find under the Program Files installation folder. If I recall correctly, there will be several of them, and you may want to update all of them for the differnt types of solution that you can unfold.

Good luck,
Michael Puleio - patterns & practices
Webhttp://msdn.microsoft.com/practices/
Bloghttp://blogs.msdn.com/mpuleio/