Will WCSF run in VS 2010 and .NET 4

May 9, 2010 at 5:20 PM

For those of us who don't have the resources to migrate our existing WCSF solutions to the new web client developer guidance that uses MVC will WCSF work in VS 2010 and .NET 4? Even if we can't use the guidance package to use the menus to create our views and presenters. I can hand code my new views/presenters/modules. I would just like to move up to VS 2010 and .NET 4 without having to move to WCDG/MVC.

Developer
May 11, 2010 at 8:04 PM

Hi,

WCSF is going to be migrated to Visual Studio 2010, as stated on this blog post on the P&P team blog. You can, at the moment, download a beta version here.

I hope you find this helpful.

Guido Leandro Maliandi
http://blogs.southworks.net/gmaliandi

May 12, 2010 at 2:13 PM
Edited May 12, 2010 at 2:14 PM

I read through the blog and I do not see anything regarding .NET 4.0 except for the information about Prism 4.0.  The only reference to .NET and WCSF that I have found is on the download page for the release candidate.  The notes only list .NET 3.5 as a requirement for the reference implementation and quick starts.  Does anyone know if this release of the WCSF supports .NET 4.0?

Thanks

Coordinator
May 12, 2010 at 6:45 PM

Hi Nudo,

The reason the WCSF Beta Source for VS 2010 download page explains that “.NET Framework 3.5 required for running Reference Implementations and Quick Starts” is because the Quickstarts and RI are targeting .Net 3.5. When installing the GP and running the recipes, new WebSites are targeting .Net 4.0, and projects target .Net 3.5. If you upgrade the projects to target .Net 4.0, you are able to run the solution without issues.

As the blocks target .Net 3.5, you can develop either against 3.5 or 4.0. Also take into account that this is a beta release, and if you find any issues it is useful if you report them, as they might be fixed for the final release.

Please let me know if this helps.

Damian Schenkelman
http://blogs.southworks.net/dschenkelman

May 16, 2010 at 12:10 AM

My understanding is that the next version of WCSF will use ASP.NET MVC and not the current MVPC pattern. Is the version that is being upgraded to VS 2010 (as referenced in the blog above) the ASP.NET MVC version or is it a straight upgrade that keeps the MVPC pattern?

If it keeps the current MVPC pattern that is great because then I can upgrade to VS 2010 without the need to update my code to use ASP.NET MVC (for which I have no available resources to do).

If it uses ASP.NET MVC then I go back to my original question as to whether I can run the existing version of WCSF in VS2010 so that I can upgrade to VS 2010 and .NET 4 w/out the need to completely rewrite our presentation layer.

Coordinator
May 17, 2010 at 2:05 PM

Hi Roy,

The WCSF and the Web Guidance are two different assets. The WCSF for VS 2010 will have the same functionality, and support the same scenarios as the 2008 version. Therefore, you will be able to use your existing WCSF 2008 solution to use the latest version, with probably little or no updates to the code.

Please let me know if this helps.

Damian Schenkelman
http://blogs.southworks.net/dschenkelman