WCSF and .NET Framework 3.0

Topics: Web Client Software Factory, User Forum
Sep 28, 2007 at 11:39 AM
Hi guys,

I would like to ask if .NETF 3.0 is really optional? If I don't intend to use the page flow features of WCSF. What do I need to do to just use .NETF 2.0 and remove the dependencies on the .NETF 3.0 libraries like System.Runtime.Serialization. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Andro
Developer
Sep 28, 2007 at 4:11 PM
Hi

If you don’t use Page Flow features, you don’t need to have .NET framework 3.0. The library System.Runtime.Serialization is present from .NET framework 1.1 so you don’t need to change anything.

Please let me know if this helps.

Mariano Converti
http://staff.southworks.net/blogs/mconverti/
Sep 28, 2007 at 4:52 PM
hey thank for the prompt reply mariano.

my concern is when i tried creating an wcsf app using the guidance automation recipe or template, the project is referring to the .net 3.0 runtime serialization dll as a reference. That is why I am getting an invalid reference on the project. If I try to remove the reference and maybe replace it with the 2.0 version, I am thinking there are chances that the library existing might be using some .net 3.0 specific serialization functionality.

Anybody already done this here. Care to share their experiences also? Thanks in advance.
Oct 2, 2007 at 1:28 AM
Edited Oct 2, 2007 at 3:46 AM
Hi Mariano,

Got a warning reported by IDE due to this reference:

<Reference Include="System.Runtime.Serialization, Version=3.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089, processorArchitecture=MSIL" />

Would removing the reference of 3.0 Runtime Serialization library and adding the reference of the .net 2.0 version work?

There isn't any System.Runtime.Serialization library in .NET 2.0. The nearest I can add is System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Soap.dll. Do I need to reference this instead? Thanks.

mconverti wrote:

If you don’t use Page Flow features, you don’t need to have .NET framework 3.0. The library System.Runtime.Serialization is present from .NET framework 1.1 so you don’t need to change anything.

Developer
Oct 2, 2007 at 1:53 PM
Hi

You are right: System.Runtime.Serialization isn't a library in .NET framework 2.0; it is just a namespace. You can remove that reference without any problem.

Please let me know if this helps.

Mariano Converti
http://staff.southworks.net/blogs/mconverti/
Dec 14, 2007 at 3:27 PM
Hi,

I've got a similar question. I've just started a project in an environment using .NET Framework 2.0. Is it possible to use the WCSF on a .NET 2.0 platform (developing using VS 2005 SP1)? I've installed the GAT and GAX but when I try to isntall WCSF it says the guidance package requires .NET 3.0. What do I need to do?

Many thanks

Mat