ChangeLog for weekly drops

Topics: Web Client Software Factory
Sep 19, 2007 at 7:01 AM
Edited Sep 19, 2007 at 12:48 PM
Hi,
I've been using the september 4 drop since it was released as I'm very keen on the ability to use dependency injection in my usercontrols and masterpages properly.
I now saw that a new drop has been released but I haven't got a clue as to what has been fixed/added to it.

The readme seems to be missing from the changeset also.

The changelog doesn't have to be complete, but it would be nice the know some of the major fixes that has been added.

Thanks anyway for a great software factory, it's been a real help in my current project.

Best regards,
Mats
Sep 20, 2007 at 6:07 PM
Hi Mats.

In the Readme.txt file included in WCSF vNext (almost) Weekly Drop September 14, 2007 you can find the ”Changes” topic with the major changes of that week:

The major change this week is to how CWAB does dependency injection. Previously, dependency injection was performed on ASPX pages automatically as they were created. Unfortunately, that approach doesn't work for master pages, controls, or web services. In each of those cases, there is no consistent hook to intercept construction of these objects. In order to enable dependency injection, we've changed how the DI container is accessed.

Now, instead of happening automatically, an object that wishes to be injected must call a single static method:

Microsoft.Practices.CompositeWeb.WebClientApplication.BuildItemWithCurrentContext(this);

This will cause the DI container to walk the given instance, and resolve any dependencies. The disadvantage is that this isn't really dependency injection anymore; the object must know that there is a DI container and invoke it. However, it has the major advantage that getting dependencies resolved now works in exactly the same manner across pages, master pages, controls, and web services. Among other things, this enables building user controls and master pages using the MVP pattern.

Please let us know what you think of this change on our forum.

On the RI, we've made progress in filling out the order system; we've started to add authorization and authentication to the CWAB version, and implemented approval of orders. We're currently using Forms auth, but that can be fairly easily changed. The autocomplete web services have been moved into the Orders module.

Hope it helps!

Sebastian Iacomuzzi
http://staff.southworks.net/blogs/siacomuzzi