MVPC? Presenters AND Controllers?

Topics: Web Client Software Factory
Sep 22, 2006 at 9:02 PM
What is the design motivation behind having both presenter classes and controller classes in the UI Framework? I have seen other samples of one or the other, but not both.
Sep 23, 2006 at 4:54 AM
In the following codedrop (on monday) you will find the MVPC pattern explained and a quickstart. So stay tuned!

Matias
http://staff.southworks.net/blogs/matiaswoloski
Oct 26, 2006 at 7:38 AM
Hello,

please check your link, i think it is not correct: i got

Server Error in '/' Application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Runtime Error
Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode="Off"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

Oct 26, 2006 at 5:22 PM
Which link are you referring to?

Thanks,
Tim
Mar 23, 2007 at 4:30 PM

clrudolphi wrote:
What is the design motivation behind having both presenter classes and controller classes in the UI Framework? I have seen other samples of one or the other, but not both.

You've probably found the answer to this question by now, but here is an answer for the benefit of others:

The MVPC pattern within the Web Client Software Factory is not a combination of the MVC and MVP patterns, but rather a combination of the MVP and Application Controller (PoEAA). The MVC pattern divides an application into the components of Model (domain model), View (presentation), and View Controller (one controller per view) where the View accesses the Model directly (updating and responding to changes in state). The MVP pattern divides an application into the Model, View, and a View Presenter (one per View) where the View does not access the Model directly, but rather is updated exclusively by its specific Presenter.

The Application Controller comes into play to separate the responsibility of page flow control (handled by the page Controller in the MVC pattern) from the Presenter whose responsibility is only to remove reusable UI logic from the View and to increase testability. Hope this explanation helps some.

Derek Greer