Need Opinion: Multiple-Paged Form

Topics: Web Client Software Factory, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Aug 31, 2007 at 5:27 PM
Hi all,

I am on a project to develop a new web interface to replace an old legacy application. In the old process the user would be restricted to fill out a form of information page by page and would be forced to finish that page before continuing. Well, to leverage .NET and perhaps AJAX I wanted to know how I could go about developing a chunked form that still collects the same information.

A similar project would be say collecting information for a goal-setting application. We want to keep track of goals we set in our weight-lifting routing online. So I'll break up the information into categories:
  • key players (ie your name, trainer's name, etc.)
  • goal information (ie I want to bench my weight)
  • dates (ie achieve it in 2 months, 08/07 - 10/07)
  • equipment (ie bench press bench with 45 lb bar and two 45 lb weights)

I envision each category as a separate form (at least visually) that will be saved altogether into one. Now the question is how do I do this? As well as follow the WCSF framework.

Thanks,
Sam

Sep 5, 2007 at 6:36 PM
Edited Sep 5, 2007 at 6:37 PM
Just off the cuff, since you haven't had an answer yet...

It sounds like this is a prime candidate for Workflows. Create separate web forms for each of your four sections you outline, and using presenters and/or controllers let a PageFlow Workflow guide you through like a wizard. If you want to skip around in each of the four sections/forms before the "previous" one is complete, you just have to have the appropriate logic in your controller/workflow or whatever. And then have some logic that prevents you from "completing" the process until all four forms are complete how you want.

I'm going to be doing something similar soon for an enrollment process, and if I remember I'll post back here with what I ended up doing. I'll also check back to see what you may have found out.
Sep 5, 2007 at 9:11 PM
Thanks Sliderhouserules,

I'll be testing the waters soon and I'll keep you posted as I find out anything new.

sliderhouserules wrote:
Just off the cuff, since you haven't had an answer yet...

It sounds like this is a prime candidate for Workflows. Create separate web forms for each of your four sections you outline, and using presenters and/or controllers let a PageFlow Workflow guide you through like a wizard. If you want to skip around in each of the four sections/forms before the "previous" one is complete, you just have to have the appropriate logic in your controller/workflow or whatever. And then have some logic that prevents you from "completing" the process until all four forms are complete how you want.

I'm going to be doing something similar soon for an enrollment process, and if I remember I'll post back here with what I ended up doing. I'll also check back to see what you may have found out.

Sep 7, 2007 at 6:42 PM
Hi!

You will find information regarding to PageFlow in the following topics of the WCSF documentation:

• Page Flow Application Block (Inspecting the Software Factory Assets -> Page Flow Application Block)
  • Page Flow (QuickStart) (Inspecting the Software Factory Assets -> QuickStarts -> Page Flow)
  • Page Flow with Shopping Cart (QuickStart) (Inspecting the Software Factory Assets -> QuickStarts -> Page Flow with Shopping Cart)

Hope it helps!

Sebastian Iacomuzzi
http://staff.southworks.net/blogs/siacomuzzi