WCSF - True Stories Please

Aug 14, 2007 at 7:13 PM
Has anyone designed, built and deployed an enterprise-class application using WCSF? I'd be interested in hearing about it and experiences along the way. Our team is finding the learning curve steep, installation and management of all moving parts difficult and general flakiness developing with it under VSTS frustrating. Is it solid enough for prime time?
Aug 15, 2007 at 9:25 AM
I'm starting a new small enterprise application that uses WCSF. At the moment it will contain only 4 modules. Since I will add more modules and services later the wcsf give me a good extensible architecture. And I can easily change the implementation of some services.
The only problem that I encountered for the moment is that the dependency injection doesn’t work for master pages and users controls. The problem was fixed by creating a new CustomWebClientApplication class that inherit from WebClientApplication and add to it a static method named BuildItemWithCurrentContext that take an object as parameter. Each control or master page that needs an injection should call this method (The next release of wcsf solve this problem).
Till the moment I’m still afraid for using Windows Workflow Foundation for pages navigation. But I will use it if the navigation becomes more complex.
For the other stuffs as validation I will use the enterprise library.
Another thing, if you implement your own RoleProvider you should pay some attention. Wcsf use its own RoleProvider (that you can override).
Aug 15, 2007 at 6:23 PM
Take a look at the this project for integration with master pages \ user control from a DI viewpoint

http://www.codeplex.com/wcsfcontrib
Aug 16, 2007 at 5:02 PM
Can you elaborate more on the issues you are facing?

The learning curve is a bit steep as many developers are not only learning the factory but also perhaps a number of new concepts. I have given 5 presentations on the WCSF this year and most attendees are unfamiliar with model-view-presenter, workflow, dependency injection, unit testing, and proper layering of applications. I think that in itself makes the learning curve for WCSF seem steep only because it uses those proven practices.

I had numerous problems with the older 1.0 release, but the June 2007 Release (1.1) has not given me many problems.

Regards,

Dave

David Hayden
Microsoft MVP C#