Error when creating new web client application

Aug 13, 2007 at 1:59 PM
Hello,
I installed WCSF release June 2007. I am using VS 2005 professional, service pack1. When I try to create new Web Client solution I get the following error:

Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.ActionExecutionException: An exception occurred during the binding of reference or execution of recipe BindingRecipe. Error was: Action CreateBusinessModuleTemplateRefVB failed to execute:
Cannot find registration information for template "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Web Client Factory\WCSF Guidance Package\Templates\Projects\Module.VB\BusinessModule.vstemplate". Package templates may not be properly registered. Run package installation again and verify template name and location..
You can remove the reference to this recipe through the Guidance Package Manager. ---> System.InvalidOperationException: Cannot find registration information for template "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Web Client Factory\WCSF Guidance Package\Templates\Projects\Module.VB\BusinessModule.vstemplate". Package templates may not be properly registered. Run package installation again and verify template name and location.
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.Templates.VSTemplatesService.GetTemplateRegistryData(String templateFileName)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.Templates.VSTemplatesService.Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.Common.IVsTemplatesService.GetTemplate(String templateFileName)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.Templates.TemplateReference.OnSited()
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.AssetReference.set_Site(ISite value)
at System.ComponentModel.Container.Add(IComponent component, String name)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Services.AssetReferenceService.Add(IComponent component, String name)
at System.ComponentModel.Container.Add(IComponent component)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Services.AssetReferenceService.Add(IAssetReference reference, IDictionary initialState, Boolean throwIfDuplicate)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Services.AssetReferenceService.Add(IAssetReference reference, IDictionary initialState)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Services.AssetReferenceService.Add(IAssetReference reference)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Library.Actions.CreateUnboundReferenceAction.Execute()
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Recipe.Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Services.IActionExecutionService.Execute(String actionName, Dictionary`2 inputValues)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Recipe.Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Services.IActionExecutionService.Execute(String actionName)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Recipe.Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Services.IActionCoordinationService.Run(Dictionary`2 declaredActions, XmlElement coordinationData)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Recipe.ExecuteActions(IDictionaryService readOnlyArguments, IDictionaryService arguments, ITypeResolutionService resolution)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Recipe.UndoExecutedActionsAndRethrow(Exception ex)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Recipe.ExecuteActions(IDictionaryService readOnlyArguments, IDictionaryService arguments, ITypeResolutionService resolution)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Recipe.Execute(Boolean allowSuspend)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.GuidancePackage.Execute(String recipe, IAssetReference reference, IDictionary arguments)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.RecipeManager.Add(IComponent component, String name)
at System.ComponentModel.Container.Add(IComponent component)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.RecipeManager.EnablePackage(XmlReader configuration)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.RecipeManager.EnablePackage(String packageName)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.Templates.UnfoldTemplate.LoadPackage()
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.Templates.UnfoldTemplate.RunStarted(Object automationObject, Dictionary`2 replacementsDictionary, WizardRunKind runKind, Object[] customParams)

Also when loading the sample quickstarts web client guidance package is not enabled, when I try to enable it by Guidance Package Manager I get the same error.
I have installed just C# in Visual Studio.
Please anyone help!!!
Aug 13, 2007 at 3:22 PM
Hi!

This also happens in SCSF. From SCSF’s known issues:

One requisite to install this factory is having Visual Studio 2005 installed in the target machine. If either Visual Basic .Net or C# is not installed with Visual Studio, the factory installer fails when trying to register the Visual Basic or C# version of the recipe templates.

Possible solutions:
  • Add VB.Net to your Visual Studio 2005
  • Or, exclude all the VSTemplates for Visual Basic from the Guidance Package. Here is explained how to do it with SCSF (for WCSF, it would have to be of similar way)

Hope it helps!

Sebastian Iacomuzzi
http://staff.southworks.net/blogs/siacomuzzi
Aug 13, 2007 at 4:19 PM
Thanks a lot! It works now :)