Modifying WCSF Guidance Package to add a new project in the solution

Topics: Web Client Software Factory, UIP Application Block discussion, User Forum
Jul 9, 2007 at 11:28 AM
Hi All,

I want to modify and re-register the WCSF guidance package in such a way that when the solution is created out of the package, the solution contains a new folder called "Data Access" and within that one simple class library project called "DataAccess" - along with what it gives out right now as default.

I would also like to add one Business Module and one Functional Module project by default to the solution when that gets created.

Any pointers would be helpful.

Thanks,
N.T.GOPALAKRISHNAN
Developer
Jul 9, 2007 at 1:55 PM
Hi

Please take a look to the following help’s topic: Web Client Software Factory – June 2007 | Customizing the Web Client Software Factory | Modifying the Guidance Package . There you will find development tips for modifying a guidance package.

Let me know if this helps,

Ezequiel Jadib
http://staff.southworks.net/blogs/ejadib
Developer
Jul 9, 2007 at 4:15 PM
You might want to have a look at the Architect Hands on Labs for SCSF too, there is a lab that explains how to add a new project to the initial solution. Although they are targeted to SCSF, the procedures to modify a guidance package are similar for WCSF.

Please take into account that those labs were developed for the June 2006 version of SCSF which uses and older version of GAX/GAT than the one used by the WCSF. Anyway, you can still find a lot of valuable info there.

Mariano Szklanny
http://staff.southworks.net/mariano
Jul 10, 2007 at 5:41 PM
Edited Jul 10, 2007 at 5:45 PM
I tried on the same lines as to what was said in the "Architect Hands on Labs for SCSF". I modified the \GP\WebClientFactory\WebClientFactoryPackage\Templates\Solutions\WCSF Guidance Package CS.vstemplate to include 2 more projects - the existing BusinessModule and FoundationalModule. I am reproducing a part of the vstemplate XML here:

--- Start ----

<TemplateContent>
<ProjectCollection>
<SolutionFolder Name="WebSites">
<ProjectTemplateLink ProjectName="$WebUIProjectName$">Projects\WebProject.CS\WebUI.vstemplate</ProjectTemplateLink>
</SolutionFolder>
<SolutionFolder Name="Modules">
<ProjectTemplateLink ProjectName="Shell">Projects\Shell.CS\Shell.vstemplate</ProjectTemplateLink>

<ProjectTemplateLink ProjectName="BusinessModule">Projects\Module.CS\BusinessModule.vstemplate</ProjectTemplateLink>
<ProjectTemplateLink ProjectName="FoundationalModule">Projects\Module.CS\FoundationalModule.csproj</ProjectTemplateLink>
</SolutionFolder>
</ProjectCollection>
</TemplateContent>

--- End ---

I am just trying to use the existing BusinessModule and FoundationalModule. But when I re-register the package and execute it, the solution that was created does not contain the BusinessModule and FoundationalModule projects. I tried renaming the "ProjectName" attribute with different names (including those that were inside the vsemplates) but nothing worked. I also unregister and re-register the package everytime. I have modified the GUID and Name of the guidance package so that I will not be overwriting the original WCSF guidance templates.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks and Regards,
N.T.GOPALAKRISHNAN