CompositeWeb assembly not referenced

Topics: Web Client Software Factory
Jul 8, 2007 at 1:00 AM
Hi,

I am walking through the QuickStarts and the tutorials and putting together a small app. But I have missed something and have strayed from the happy path. I don't expect that we'll be able to solve it in this forum, so I am intersted more in how to be sure to stay on the happy path and how to approach debugging this issue.

I am adding pageFlow to my WCSF app. The compiler is giving me an error in my Default.aspx.cs. The line of code that the compiler is complaining about is a private field DefaultViewPresenter, which exists in Modlules

And the compalaint is "The type 'Microsoft.Practices.CompositeWeb.Presenter`1<T0>' is defined in an assembly that is not referenced. You must add a reference to assembly 'Microsoft.Practices.CompositeWeb, Version=1.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35.'

I have recently updated my Web.Config file to support pageFlow. And I have added CompositeWeb to the solution as was done in the QuickStart. And the .dll in my web app points to the one in my solution that uses the source code. And when I run my Default page in the browser, it fails at a line in CompositeWeb that is doing reflection in the ModuleLoaderService.

Somewhere along the line, I've strayed from the happy path. I can start over, but any clues as to what to look for will be helpful. Also, when I looked up the error on live.com, I found lots of individual fixes for breaks in lots of applications, but not much on explaining how to figure out what I did wrong. Perhaps someone can shed some light on how to go about debugging the "assembly not referenced" problem when it seems to be in my solution.

Someone had suggested using fuslogvw.exe. But it didn't provide any data. Maybe I was not using it right.

I suspect my build (not having the keys correctly), the web.config file, some missing assembly somewhere, a dependency issue between duplicate assemblies elsewhere on my hard drive, and on and on. The head spins. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

--bruce
Jul 11, 2007 at 4:15 PM
Hi Bruce,

This may be happening because you might be referencing a signed dll, but the CompositeWeb project produces an unsigned dll. Perhaps you can find this post (http://www.codeplex.com/websf/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=12128) useful.
Besides that, as far as I know, the purpose of the quickstarts is to show the patterns and blocks included in WCSF, but not how they are used within WCSF.
If you want, you can describe the steps you followed when creating your solution, so that we all can discuss for alternatives or better approaches.

Hope it helps!
Luciano G. Panaro
http://staff.southworks.net/lpanaro