When to use a Module verses a view?

Topics: Web Client Software Factory, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Jun 12, 2007 at 4:22 PM
Basic question here, when would you create a new module verses creating a view within an existing module?
Jun 12, 2007 at 4:43 PM
The by-the-book answer is that a business module encapsulates a set of interrelated concerns, and business modules are independent of one another. Hence each business module can be developed independently and discovered/added to the website independently.

The Bank Reference Implementation has a separate business module for Electronic Fund Transfers and Mortgages. Web pages (views) related to EFT will be associated with the EFT Module and web pages related to Mortgages will be associated with the Mortgages Module.

I use Community Server as an example in all my WCSF Presentations with a separate module for Blogs, Forums, PhotoGalleries, etc. Each of these is a separate application under a common shell. Each is developed independently from one another and can be added to the website or not. However, they can take advantage of a set of infrastructure related services ( logging, caching, etc.) from global services or implement their own ( override global ) as a local service.

Regards,

Dave

David Hayden
Microsoft MVP C#
Jun 12, 2007 at 4:50 PM
That's what I was envisioning with it. Now I have to retro-fit a partial development to get this organized the "right" way. :o)

DavidHayden wrote:
The by-the-book answer is that a business module encapsulates a set of interrelated concerns, and business modules are independent of one another. Hence each business module can be developed independently and discovered/added to the website independently.

The Bank Reference Implementation has a separate business module for Electronic Fund Transfers and Mortgages. Web pages (views) related to EFT will be associated with the EFT Module and web pages related to Mortgages will be associated with the Mortgages Module.

I use Community Server as an example in all my WCSF Presentations with a separate module for Blogs, Forums, PhotoGalleries, etc. Each of these is a separate application under a common shell. Each is developed independently from one another and can be added to the website or not. However, they can take advantage of a set of infrastructure related services ( logging, caching, etc.) from global services or implement their own ( override global ) as a local service.

Regards,

Dave

David Hayden
Microsoft MVP C#