Dettaching modules

Topics: Web Client Software Factory, User Forum
Jun 6, 2007 at 11:46 AM
Dear All,
While using WCSF I have come across a concern when various teams are involved in developing a WebSite. I have a single solution containing WebSite development created by using the WCSF guidance package. Now teams use the same solution for adding their business modules. This causes a problem as every team has to compile code checked in by the other and often run into runtime issues caused by other teams. Is there a way to detach modules and Website sub folders that do not concern a team so that they can compile and test only the code they have written? Or is the methodology wrong? Is there a better way to achieve this? How do we then integrate all the modules developed by other teams? It would be nice if someone can throw some light into this issue.

Thanks & regards
Sunil
Jun 6, 2007 at 12:13 PM
Our learning is that it's a real pain to maintain a good development enviroment with WebSite and a large team. I u leave a file in the site that u later want to remove, its certain that the files one teammember removed will come back to hunt you down.

I believe it's easier to maintain a good developer enviromment if you use the Web Application Project approach for a multiteam project..

Because of the WCSF is decoupled from each other in the WAP (im not sure how the effekt is in a WebSite) solution, the business modules other teammembers write want bug your module. Each module has it own web.config so buggers here want hurt other teammembers. So the need for detaching modules isn't there. If you are using VSTS u can set rules that want allow modules that doesnt compile to be checked in.

One other trick is not to use the "get latest version" on modules besides your own.

Benny
Jun 6, 2007 at 12:27 PM
I have registered WAP that was posted here but didn't find a way to add business modules...ideally I would like my developers not to create a new WebSite project and use the basic framework website defined by me...how are others developing Web sites where many teams are involved?

Thanks & regards
Sunil
Jun 8, 2007 at 3:12 PM
Dear All,
I still stuck at this...how can I dettach modules and website subfolders for those dev teams who are not involved with those modules and folders...Should go the WAP way? This will mean that I copy the latest default web pages and config file...do I write recipes to achieve it? I want to make the development envoirnment as simple as possible to my devs...
scratch scratch scratch...any ideas?

Thanks & regards
Sunil
Jun 8, 2007 at 7:55 PM
Are you planing to use sourcesafe for your enviroment?

How many programmers are to work with this project?

Regards
Benny
Jun 10, 2007 at 2:11 PM
I am using PerForce...we have different teams working on different modules f.e.x we have a team of 3 programmers coding the Patient billing module and another team coding the OutPatient module...we have 4 teams distributed across and I foresee a lot of lightweight development in ASP.Net done by each team...I have thought of a solution...I expect every team to create a WebSite project and using Software Factory reciepe synchronise the basic framework f.e.x WebSite web.config, master pages, Main page. This means the developer will have to execute this reciepe that will copy the basic framework from the Framework project the developers points to...in this I have have to do some manual integration of their modules when building an installation of the WebSite...seems an error prone procedure...but if MS can think of such Use Cases they can come up with a solution of excluding modules not required while compiling and testing...

Many regards
Sunil
Jun 10, 2007 at 4:55 PM
The best solution is if you create the initial solution.

• Change it to reflect your needs. Stylesheets, masterpages etc.
  • For each team create one new solution.
  • Enable the Web Client Guidance Package on each solution.
  • Add the web site project / Web Application base to each solution.
  • Add the shell project to each solution.

No each team should have the skeleton solution to add each business modules to.

Everytime someone creates a new businessmodule you add the projects involved to your initial solution.

Then you should have a enviroment to satisify your needs.

Regards

Benny