Architecting Web Portal using WCSF

Topics: Web Client Software Factory, UIP Application Block discussion, User Forum
Jun 6, 2007 at 9:28 AM
Dear All,
I have been given the task to create a framework using the WCSF. I have been using it for a month and find it a good head start to my framework development. Coming to the point here is a list of suggestions I have recommended to my superiors for going about this development:
1. Use WSCF :-)
2. No need to create a BasePage. All devs will create their pages from (Web.UI.Page), since MasterPages and functions like <PrePageExecute> and <PostPageExecute> allow us fine control over the pages developed by developers.
3. The default WebDevelopment site will be created by me (having the masterpage and web.config) etc.
4. Devs can add business modules to this solution (using the WSCF receipe).
5. In order to isolate problems from other teams, they can create a solution with only their required folders but still use the single WebDevelopment site created by me.
6. All hook ins can be provided using the provider pattern or by using httpmodules/httphandlers.
7. All unit test code will be in a separate folder for each module and have a different solution file.
8. I don't see a Use Case of having to derive my framework classes from the Composite Web block, I am planning to use it as it. I recommend this as I find that the code is built like lego blocks that can be easily plugged in and out.
9. Will need to create a Guidance package for creating a business module with predefined MasterPage.
10. I plan to use Infragistics control 2007 having AJAX capabilities. Do you recommend deriving controls from Infragistics or can I recommend my devs to directly use them?
11. Do I need to implement some AJAX functionality or can I add the AJAX feature later? IMO keeping it for later is a good option and can be handled on a Case to case basis keeping scalability and performance in mind.
12. I highly recommend using the Policy Injection Block for cross cutting code like logging, exception handling and instrumentation.

Before I jump into development I would highly appreciate ur views and recommendation. It will give me a sense of satisfaction that I am on the right track.

Thanks in advance.

Many regards
Sunil
Jun 8, 2007 at 4:47 AM
Dear All,
Any suggestions or comments? I was expecting atleast David Hayden would comment...:-) I guess he is busy...

Thanks & regards
Sunil
Jun 8, 2007 at 1:25 PM
If you are going to use Infragistics you actually don't need to implement AJAX as a seporate task. These controls are server-side and all async processing is built in and hidden from your eyes. You can just switch it on or off.

I don't think there is a reason to derive from Infragistics controls, if they don't quite fit to you it's better to look at the others.

- Leonid
Jun 8, 2007 at 1:49 PM
I also think you may consider using Sharepoint 2007 Services for the web portal project.

- Leonid
Jun 8, 2007 at 3:02 PM
Thanks Leonid....I had looked into the Sharepoint aspect too but found the cost an overhead for the time being...
now this gives me a bit more confidence that I am on the right track...thanks Leonid...

Many regards
Sunil