License Question

Topics: Project Management Forum, User Forum
May 29, 2007 at 2:57 PM
I've read the license and am a little unclear on something.

Let's say I create an application using the WCSF. Can I then patent that application? Of course that patent won't cover the code in the WCSF but is my application that is based off of WCSF patentable. This is not my area of expertise and legalese is not my first language so I would appreciate any responses be in layperson speak.
Jun 1, 2007 at 7:45 PM
I'm in a bit of a pinch here. If I'm not able to provide a definitive answer to my boss on this I may not be able to user the WCSF for an upcoming project. Any help would certainly be appreciated. What I need to know is if a solution created with the WCSF will be patentable?
Jun 1, 2007 at 8:01 PM
One thing that confuses me, is that as far as I know, you can't patent an application, so its a bit irrelevent. Assuming you are in the US, you might be able to patent a specific type of technology that is a part of your application and such.

Using something like the WCSF is no different than using the .NET framework from that side.
Jun 1, 2007 at 9:11 PM
Edited Jun 1, 2007 at 9:15 PM
Yeah. I'm a little iffy on the whole subject so I'm not sure how it works. What you're saying does make sense to me though. So using the WCSF is the same as using the .NET framework as far as copyright and patents go?
Jun 1, 2007 at 10:35 PM
On a slightly different aspect of license...

This thread prompted me to revisit the license again and I found this rather questionable provision (3F)

(F) Platform Limitation - The licenses granted in sections 2(A) & 2(B) extend only to the software or derivative works that you create that run on a Microsoft Windows operating system product

It actually means that, if i somehow manage to use some of the code in a mono project, I will be restricted to run only under Windows OS!!! I am hoping that there is yet another small print that will provide something more relaxed. I can already hear what my Java colleagues are going to say if they read this condition!!!

Even with all the wonderful collaborative efforts happening in .Net these days, As a development tool company, MS need to show more tolerence towards non-windows platforms and open source community in general. I don't think it will affect their overal business performance in any adverse manner. The resulting goodwill (or atleast reduction in hate) could very well help MS.