Customize Web Client Software Factory

Topics: Web Client Software Factory, User Forum
May 21, 2007 at 2:24 PM
Hi, thanks for this great framework, it is quite a tool.
However, I try to digg through all the documentation and have a lot to digest regarding how the guidance and recipes etc. are working.
I am in the process to research some frameworks for our company in order to not to start from scratch everytime and to have a common framework to work with. Using our framework with plugging in the modules etc. is quite the thing I want.

Now I want to adjust the WCSF with another theme - company theme - and add some other components and want to have this as the template in VS, how would I do that?

Thanks
May 21, 2007 at 7:43 PM
Hi Ralf,

You can found the source code installer of the package at %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Web Client Factory\Source Code\WebClientFactorySourceInstall.msi.
After install it, you can modify the package to add the components you want and register it as new guidance package.

You can read the topic “Customizing the Web Client Software Factory” of the WCSF Documentation, to learn how to extend and modify the Guidance Package.

Maybe, if the components are not quite specific to your company business, you can share the modifications you will do at the package with the community to get some good feedback.

Please let me know if this helps you,

Ezequiel Jadib
http://staff.southworks.net/blogs/ejadib
May 22, 2007 at 8:58 AM
Edited May 22, 2007 at 1:11 PM
Thanks, but maybe I just understand some things not quite right yet:
I was under the impression I can modify the WCSF to my needs, compile it and let other developers in my company install it with the modified settings, templates etc.
Apparently this is not the case or?!
I have read the docs about the WCSF and it is quite some stuff to get in and I just have to get used to the whole guidance package and more stuff. Now I am reading the docs about the GP and get a better understanding on how that works and the WCSF is a result of that, correct?

I have to admit that I have not studied programming/IT but electrical engineering and started programming 14 years ago teaching myself, as it is probably the case with many people which check out this site.
So some of those terms and principles are hard to grasp I guess...

However, any help in understanding the principles and thought patterns and what you can actually do is greatly appreciated.
And, of course, I'm more than willing to share my understanding to similar people with similar problems...

Ralf